Sunday, August 14, 2011

Storytelling and Storytelling

No, I'm not repeating myself.  There are two types of "stories" we tell.  There are the stories that we tell that have truth and well...the stories that are mostly fiction.  I will not call them lies because that is not what they are.  Something really amazing and magical happens when we recall our memories.  When we try to recall a memory, we are reliving that memory in our minds through our current perception. 
Have you ever recalled a memory as you are telling a story and as you go along, you begin to make more sense of it that ever before.  That is because, when the event originally occurred, you didn't know all the things you now know, nor have you experienced as much.  Even when the period of time that has passed is not great, still some time has passed.  I make this point because I truly feel that stories get stretched over time or events get rationalized, not because people have the intention to lie but, because there is more perspective. 
I absolutely love family gatherings.  I love to hear the stories and memories.  It's interesting to hear the stories change and stretch year after year.  I've noticed they become more humorous, more intriguing and more legendary.  I myself have memories that I question....how much of this is what actually happened?  I find this phenomenon to be very interesting.  It is also a lot of fun to write and then read journals much much later.  I like to re-read my journal entries and make comments.  A heartache that seemed catastrophic in my adolescence is now just a small piece of time in the long string of events that is my life.
Similarly, I feel that people will rewrite their memories to put themselves in a good light.  It is surprising to hear someone claim they were on your side when you clearly remember them opposing you. "Oh, yes I knew you could do it!"  All the while, you remember the lack of support.  For some, this could cause an argument.  I personally am taken back when this happens.  It usually takes me a little time to process this.  I think about the relationship that has occurred since this stretched memory.  Will it serve me to argue and point out that they were not supportive.  What purpose would it serve for me to point out the other person's stretching of the truth?  Probably not much.  And so, I allow myself and others to remember memories as they like, with the perceptions of today and all the twists.  It is intriguing to see what our minds will do with memories when recalled today. 

 Your thoughts on this? 
Please follow the blog if you like these topics.  Constructive criticism is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment